I decided just over a year ago that I wanted to run a half marathon. The benefit which came with this was twofold. I desired a deeper level of physical conditioning, and I achieved that. But the other thing I received was a deeper sense of spiritual awareness. I sought goodness for myself, but what I found was that the goodness of the Lord trumped any plans that I had for myself.
I ran the first annual Joplin Half Marathon on October 10, 2010 (10/10/10). I placed 1st in my age group, 14th overall. I set the bar high at 90 minutes, and I fell just short coming in at 94:35. Still I was pleased with the outcome. I put in so much work to shape my body into one that could withstand over an hour and a half of high level strain, and my physical training paid off.
Physical training is of some value, but godliness is of value in every way. Paul wrote those words to Timothy in order to encourage him in his service to God. Timothy was at a place in his life where he was appointed to be a leader. He was learning and being encouraged so much in ministry. It was Timothy's time to step up. I was transitioning into my junior year of college, I was in a serious relationship, and I was working in a church alongside ministers who had expectations from me that I was supposed to meet.
I got up 2 hours before work every morning so that I could train my body, but the most valuable thing I learned was self discipline in more of a spiritual sense. Because I was able to find a commitment to train my physical body, I was that much more able to accomplish spiritual maturity through discipline in other areas. I found myself more able to devote my time to true study and meditation on Scripture. I found myself more equipped to share the Gospel in real life situations. I found that my prayer life began to look more like what it should - less about me and more about Him.
In all things, God be glorified. He has given to me a healthy, capable body in order that I might accomplish some physical feat to make Him famous. He has given to me a mind that is capable to think, and a tongue able to speak, and ears able to hear. In all these things, His name should be lifted above every other name.
That I might train my tongue, my ears, my eyes, my hands and feet... all these things in godliness. That is my prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment